Welcome to The College for Congregational Development
a Program of the Diocese of Olympia
"The College for Congregational Development has given us a new vision for our church, renewed our energy to pursue it, and provided a whole array of tools to use as we journey together . . . "
We’d like you to meet All Souls Berkeley one of our favorite College for Congregational Development success stories!
Who Are We?
We are lay and clergy leaders. We are Episcopalians. We are members of small, rural congregations, mid-sized churches, and large, urban parishes and cathedrals. Our congregations have music programs, preachers, soaring buildings, crumbling buildings, websites, children, chaplains, old folks, problems, conflicts, challenges, new ideas, old habits, hope, fear, love, labor, and life. We remember our past and wonder about our future. We have a few regrets, but we’ve learned a few things too. We want our spiritual communities to be healthy, vibrant, and expressive of our unique identities. We gather to learn, connect, and return home with new energy and skills to effectively lead the communities we love.
What Is Congregational Development?
Congregational Development is the development of congregations of all sizes, locations, and conditions into more faithful, healthy, and effective communities of faith that are:
- Focused on and faithful to their unique reason for being—their primary task—as congregations. Congregations are local expressions of the Body of Christ.
- Connected to and expressive of their unique ecclesial tradition, ethos, and character.
- Self-renewing and responsive to the challenges and opportunities before them.
- Sustainable or working toward greater sustainability in terms of a fit between the elements of their organizational life: vision for ministry, leadership, culture, size, property, finances, etc.
- Fostering a culture of transparency, courage, flexibility, collaboration, and forgiveness in which the congregation and its leaders have a greater sense of choice.
The Bishop’s Preaching Award for 2017
The Bishop's Preaching Award for 2017 is now open!
Any sermon preached in any congregation (by a preacher from any order) in the Diocese of Olympia from the First Sunday of Advent, 2016 (November 27, 2016) through September 03, 2017, is eligible for consideration. The winner will be announced at the 2017 Diocesan Convention and will be awarded $1,000. Nominations must be received by September 30, 2017.
For more information on nominations and eligibility please go to the Bishop's Preaching Award page
College for Congregational Development registration is now open for 2018
Registration is now open for both sessions (weekend and week-long intensive) of The College for Congregational Development in the Diocese of Olympia. Dates for 2018 are:
Weekend sessions (Friday & Saturday) 2018:
February 9 – 10, 2018
April 20 – 21, 2018
September 7 – 8, 2018 (Labor Day is Sept. 3, 2018)
November 2 – 3, 2018
June Week-long Intensive 2018 (Sunday to Saturday):
June 10-16, 2018 (Father’s Day is June 17, 2018)