Welcome to The College for Congregational Development
a Program of the Diocese of Olympia
"It lights a fire in my soul to engage in this important work . . . "
We’d like you to meet All Souls Berkeley one of our favorite College for Congregational Development success stories!
Who Are We?
We are lay and clergy leaders. We are Episcopalians. We are members of small, rural congregations, mid-sized churches, and large, urban parishes and cathedrals. Our congregations have music programs, preachers, soaring buildings, crumbling buildings, websites, children, chaplains, old folks, problems, conflicts, challenges, new ideas, old habits, hope, fear, love, labor, and life. We remember our past and wonder about our future. We have a few regrets, but we’ve learned a few things too. We want our spiritual communities to be healthy, vibrant, and expressive of our unique identities. We gather to learn, connect, and return home with new energy and skills to effectively lead the communities we love.
What Is Congregational Development?
Congregational Development is the development of congregations of all sizes, locations, and conditions into more faithful, healthy, and effective communities of faith that are:
- Focused on and faithful to their unique reason for being—their primary task—as congregations. Congregations are local expressions of the Body of Christ.
- Connected to and expressive of their unique ecclesial tradition, ethos, and character.
- Self-renewing and responsive to the challenges and opportunities before them.
- Sustainable or working toward greater sustainability in terms of a fit between the elements of their organizational life: vision for ministry, leadership, culture, size, property, finances, etc.
- Fostering a culture of transparency, courage, flexibility, collaboration, and forgiveness in which the congregation and its leaders have a greater sense of choice.
College for Congregational Development registration for 2017 is now closed
Registration is now closed for both sessions (weekend and week-long intensive) of The College for Congregational Development in the Diocese of Olympia. Registration for 2018 will open August 1, 2018. Dates for 2018 are:
Weekend sessions (Friday & Saturday) 2018:
February 9 – 10, 2018
April 20 – 21, 2018
September 7 – 8, 2018 (Labor Day is Sept. 3, 2018)
November 2 – 3, 2018
June Week-long Intensive 2018 (Saturday to Saturday):
June 9-16, 2018 (Father’s Day is June 17, 2018)